( Back to privacy home page )
THOMSON REUTERS MOBILE APPLICATION PRIVACY STATEMENT FOR OSBORN'S CONCISE LAW DICTIONARY
Your privacy is important to Thomson Reuters and we go to great lengths to protect it .This Privacy Statement applies to the collection and sharing of personal and other information via our downloadable our mobile application for Osborn's Concise Law Dictionary (the "App") operated by Thomson Reuters (Professional) UK Limited ("we/us/our"). This Statement does not apply to information collected in any other way, including offline, through Thomson Reuters websites. The App may contain buttons or links to websites maintained by third parties. These third party sites are not operated or controlled by Thomson Reuters and may have different privacy practices.
We recognise your need to know that your personal information is being lawfully processed and held in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. We are a registered data controller under number Z7602050.
This Privacy Statement has been created in compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998 data protection principles and is designed to help you understand how we may use and safeguard the personal information you provide to us via the App.
In this Privacy Statement:
- the terms "Personal Information" or "Personally Identifiable Information" means your name, address, phone number, email address, payment card information, and/or certain additional categories of information that identify you personally; and
- the terms "Personal Information" and "Personally Identifiable Information" do not include username, technical information (for example, Unique Device Identifier or "UDID," Media Access Control "MAC" address, Apple's Identifier For Advertising or IFA," and Internet Protocol or "IP" address), or numbers or alpha-numeric identifiers assigned by us, third-parties, or your computer. .
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
When you register for our services, we ask you to provide certain Personal Information such as your name, address, phone number, email address, payment card information (if applicable). We keep this information in a contact database for future reference, as needed. We may use certain information you provide to offer you products and services that we believe may be of interest to you. If you don't wish to receive such offers, you may opt out (unsubscribe) as described in this Statement below.
If you contact us for customer support, we may ask you to provide information about your computer/mobile device or about the issues you are trying to resolve. This information is necessary to help us answer your questions. We may record your requests and our responses for quality control purposes.
We don't share any of the Personal Information you provide with others, unless we say so in this Privacy Statement, or when we believe in good faith that the law requires it.
WHAT OTHER INFORMATION DOES THOMSON REUTERS COLLECT AND HOW DO WE USE IT?
We collect information about our users, including purchased content, network and device information, and usage data, in the following ways: directly from the user (for example, when ordering a product, registering an account, or signing up for a newsletter), from our web server & the App logs, through cookies, beacons, and through the use of local storage, including but not limited to, through local shared objects or "flash cookies," as well as other files. The device or devices on which you use the App will determine, in part, the exact manner in which we collect or store information.
We use the information primarily to provide you with a personalised experience that delivers the information, resources, and services that are most relevant and helpful to you.
Web Server Logs
When you use the App, we will track information about your use of the App and store that information in web server logs. Our servers automatically capture and save the information electronically. Examples of the information we may collect include:
- Your Internet protocol address
- A unique identifier we assign to your device (or a unique identifier already associated with your device)
- MAC address, IFA, or similar identifiers
- Information or text that you enter in the App
- The name of your Internet service provider
- Other technical facts regarding your network access
- The city, county, and country where you are using the App
- The kind of operating system and device you use, including version number
- Other technical facts regarding your device
- Language preferences
- The number of links or buttons you click within the App
- App start/stop time errors
- The date and time of your visit/use
- Frequency of use of the App
- The content you viewed, purchased, or stored
- Certain searches/queries that you conducted via the App
- Frequency of use of the App
The information we collect in web server logs helps us administer the App, analyse its usage, protect the App and its content from inappropriate use, and improve the user's experience.
Local Storage (cookies and other technologies)
We will also store information locally on the device regarding the content that you purchase, access, and view. This information is stored in order to help the App work. This information is deleted from your device when you delete the App. However, unique identifiers that are persistently associated with your device, MAC address, or unique identifiers derived from your device's technical information, will remain the same after deletion of the App.
Third Party Services
We may use services hosted by third parties to assist in providing our services and to help us understand our customers' use of our products. These services may collect information sent by your device when you use the App, including IP address, type of device, operating system version, unique or persistent identifiers associated with your device (such as MAC address, IFA, or identifiers derived from your device's technical information), network information, technical characteristics of your device or its software, language settings, and usage information relating to your use of the App. If and when these third party services collect information, they do so without collecting Personal Information.
HOW DOES THOMSON REUTERS PROTECT THE PERSONAL INFORMATION THAT IT COLLECTS?
We have implemented certain appropriate security measures to help protect your Personal Information from accidental loss and from unauthorised access, use, or disclosure. For example, some of your network communications when you use our Apps are protected with Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology which protects against eavesdroppers by using encryption. Also, we store Personal Information in a data center with restricted access and appropriate monitoring, and we use a variety of technical security measures to secure your data. In addition, we use intrusion detection and virus protection software. However, please note that we do not guarantee that unauthorised persons will always be unable to defeat our security measures.
Also, please note that we may store and process your Personal Information in systems located outside of your home country, including countries located outside of the European Union. However, regardless of where storage and processing may occur, we take appropriate steps to ensure that your information is protected, consistent with the principles set forth under this statement.
WHO HAS ACCESS TO THE PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We will not sell, rent, or lease mailing lists or your Personal Information to others, and we will not make your Personal Information available to any unaffiliated parties, except as follows:
- To agents and/or contractors who may use it on our behalf or in connection with their relationship with us (for example, we may use third parties to help us with promotional campaigns).
- As required by law, in a matter of public safety or policy, as needed in connection with the transfer of our business assets (for example, if we are acquired by another company or if we are liquidated during bankruptcy proceedings), or if we believe in good faith that sharing the data is necessary to protect our rights or property.
We also rely on some of our affiliates for support of the products and services we offer, and we share some of our back-office functions with other Thomson Reuters companies. Our affiliates are all required to preserve the confidentiality of any Personal Information they may access.
We may also use statistics regarding usage for product development purposes, but we only use those statistics in the aggregate and they don't include any Personal Information.
Your access to some of our services and content may be password protected, such as via OnePass. We recommend that you refrain from disclosing your username(s) and password(s) to anyone. We also recommend that you sign out of your account or service at the end of each session. You may also wish to close your browser window when you have finished your work, especially if you share a computer with someone else or if you are using a computer in a public place like a library or Internet cafe.
HOW MAY I CORRECT, AMEND, OR DELETE MY PERSONAL INFORMATION AND/OR UPDATE MY PREFERENCES?
- For a copy of your Personal Information that we hold in respect of the App; or to correct, amend or delete this Personal Information; or if you have any additional questions or concerns related to this Privacy Statement and/or our practices, please write to Advanced Media, 100 Avenue Road, London NW3 3PF or call 0845 600 9355 (UK); or +44 1264 388 560 (International); or email on: email@example.com.
- You may cancel your registration or update your preferences at any time. If you don't want to receive information about our products or services, please update your account preferences (where available), check the appropriate box when registering, and/or utilise the "unsubscribe" mechanism within the communications that you receive from us or contact us.
- Where a newsletter is offered you may cancel your email registration to the newsletter at any time via the settings option in the App.
If you have any additional questions or concerns related to this statement and/or our practices, please contact us using the contact us link in the App; or using the details given above.
PRIVACY STATEMENT CHANGES
Our Privacy Statement may change at any time. If our information practices change in a significant way, we will post the policy changes here. This Privacy Statement was last updated on 28.03.2013